generated by sloganizer.net

Friday, March 11, 2005

Making good on a Promise

Well, I heard the cry for poems and I answered it with a promise that they were to come. Now I come to you to fulfill that promise. Since I don't want to completely overwhlem you all by putting all four or so of them up at once, starting tonight I'll post two per day: one in the morning and one in the evening (that'll also give me enough time to actually finish writing the last one....hehe). I hope you enjoy them, but bear in mind that before just recently (and not counting one poem, which I wrote last year) I haven't written much of anything in the way of poetry for something like five or six years, so don't expect anything spectacular. That said, here's the first one:

A Six-Year Old’s Tragedy

Sometimes when the snow
Dusts the ground
Nestles down on the street,
I get introspective,
Thoughtful
And I forget
Where I am
And time.
I stare at my
Blue snow pants which
Whisper secrets to me
Secrets of my youth,
Of my life yet to come.
But for now I look up and see
The snow
Surreally drifting down
Like a movie
And I’m alone
Alone
And lost
With only the bus driver to hear
My muffled tears
As I sit in his bus so
Far beyond all I know
And the school I didn’t get off at.
-3/6/05

I wrote that for an English assignment over the weekend. The assignment was to write about a childhood memory so I decided to write it about one of my warm and fuzzy memories of the time I spaced out on the bus and got taken all the way to the bus station before realizing that last stop had in fact been school. It was rather traumatic for me, although I did not, as my father still insists on telling everyone, fall asleep on the bus, I just wasn't paying attention. Thought I'd just clear that up for y'all. Anyhow, hope that works for ya and expect another one tomorrow morning. Now, if you'll excuse me, my second cousin Allison and her mom are over and I would like to go and talk with her now, if you don't mind (incidentally, she happens to be one of the few people I know to have hair redder than mine. Y'know, in case you were wondering.)

Rock out everybody.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joanna said...

mm.. snaps for ben. :) wonderful imagery, dear, and i love how it leads you into the story without your quite knowing it..definetly one you gotta read more than once. :) deliciously enjoyable.. many thanks, ben.

2:34 PM  
Blogger heartlikeaglass said...

very nice - fuzziness effectively communicated (:

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home